History

SEREC-history-cotton-picker

The Southeast Georgia Research and Education Center lies in the upper Coastal Plain near Midville, Georgia. Just south of the fall line, the approximately 720-acre center was established in 1952, when Burke County deeded the land to the University System Board of Regents.

The original mission of the center was to test enterprises or practices that could be adapted to the local area.  All enterprises were applied on a management scale large enough to accurately assess cost and returns of these enterprises. Whole farm production units included dairy, beef, swine, poultry, pecans, and row crop (predominately cotton) enterprises. Now, research is focused in row crop research including peanuts, soybeans, alfalfa, corn, cotton, sorghum and potential biofuel crops.

Variety testing, pest management strategies, fertilizer application rates, seeding rates and disease management research programs are also in place. The center is the only UGA research location where UGA scientists study cylindrocladium black rot, a fungal disease first found in 1965 on peanuts in southwest Georgia. Today, CBR plagues alfalfa, clover and soybean as well.